German Music Archive

 
Images
Text
Client:
Deutsche Nationalbibliothek
Location:
Leipzig
Opening:
May 2011
Area:
1500 sqm
Website:
Tasks:

Design and production of the permanent exhibition (all HOAI phases, s.a.).
Exhibition design, graphics and light, design and media production, technical planning, production management, cost controlling, expenditure reports, conceptual collaboration and researching exhibits

IGLHAUT + von GROTE Ausstellungsgestaltung und Design / German Music Archive
Project text:

The German Music Archive in Berlin is the nation’s central collection of sheet music, music supplies and sound recording media, as well as Germany’s musical-bibliographical information centre. Founded in 1970, it continues the activities of the German Music/Sound Library (1961–1969). The German Music Archive in Berlin is a department of the German National Library, which is located in Leipzig, and moved to Leipzig when the fourth extension building was finished. One attractive special collection of the German Music Archive is its accumulation of apparatuses for recording and playing sound, is newly presented in its cultural-historical context in Leipzig.
The transfer of the German Music Archive to Leipzig will go hand in hand with a new concept for the presentation of the collection of acoustic apparatuses and related storage media. The changeable, rapid development from the Edison-apparatus to digital storage and reproduction of music and sound lends form to the presentation’s chronological framework. This theme per se suggests an approach to the objects via modern media. The layout of the exhibition was conceived in cooperation with the architects of the fourth extension to the German National Library Leipzig, the working group Gabriele Glöckler / ZSP Architekten, Stuttgart.

Szenography


Contents